/**/    <!--Can't find substitution for tag [blog.Loripalooza]-->   

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Count on Me

Luke (20 mos) and I have been working on counting lately. We count his fingers and toes. We count the stairs as we climb up and down. We count his blocks.

To confuse matters slightly, we also use a method of discipline known as "1-2-3 Magic". It consists of managing the child’s misbehavior by counting to three and ultimately putting them in timeout if the behavior continues.

I, however, like to call it “1-2-3 Don’t Hit Your Kid Too Much”, because that’s really my goal. Society frowns upon people punching babies, and thus, 1-2-3 Magic was invented.

Always ahead of the curve, Luke has already begun acting like a two year old. I don’t wish to embarrass him with the details of his misbehavior, but suffice it to say that he puts on a good show. He was giving one of these performances yesterday when I was changing his diaper. Exasperated to be foregoing another tantrum so soon after the last, I looked at him and said, “That’s one!”

He smiled back at me, in the sweet little way that only he can, and said, “two, six, eight!” I tried not to laugh and wondered how to explain that we weren’t counting for fun, but rather because he was in trouble. However, the moment had passed and he was back to being my sweet little boy. So I scrapped the lecture and we counted his fingers and toes. A good mother I am, but consistent I am not.

6 comments :

  1. Ha, The Boy used to do that too. Elmo says counting is fun! Mommy says counting equals a spanking. Very confusing.
    www.wethreemoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny! I have a 20-month-old and we are having the SAME issues! And coincidently Mitchell thinks numbers are in the order of "two, six, eight." I am not sure what skipping the rest are about but it is cute all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they are on to something. I think we should try playing the lottery with those numbers:)

    ReplyDelete