/**/    <!--Can't find substitution for tag [blog.Loripalooza]-->   

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Luke-isms: Too Stank


I walked in the back door and Luke was seated at the kitchen table having a snack. I had been watering the plants outside, although you’d never know it by looking at my yard. He looked up from his Oreo cakesters and said, “Mom are you too stank?”
I thought this might be a trap. “I beg your pardon?” I asked.
He repeated it nice and slow, as if I were old and stupid. “Are. You. Too. Stank?”
“Do you know what stank means, Luke?”
“Yes, it means really hungry.”
“Then, yes. I’m very stank.”

He laughed and I wondered where he would have learned such a word. I’m sure his teacher at preschool doesn’t say, “Alright, boys and girls! Get your lunchboxes. I hope you’re all stank.”  And, he’s never heard his father and I say, “I’m so stank I could eat a horse.” I chalked it up to one of life’s great mysteries, but I wasn’t ready for it to become a habit.  “If it means hungry, then just say hungry, alright?”
“But Mom, I can’t.”
“Why not?”
“Because you’re too stinky,” he chuckled.
He knew what it meant all along, and he was right. With a heat index of 110 degrees outside it’s hard for me to be anything but stank. 

No comments :

Post a Comment