/**/    <!--Can't find substitution for tag [blog.Loripalooza]-->   

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My Kid Expects More From Me (Spoiler Alert! He's In For A Let Down)


I've been getting telltale signs over the last week that Luke (5) is raising his expectations of me. This is quite a conundrum because I am proud to be a champion of mediocrity and yet there I am, time and time again, encouraging him to improve on everything he does. 

Last Friday I helped him pick out his clothes and as he started getting dressed I headed for my closet. 

"I'm going to pick out my clothes now," I told him.

"Okaaaay," he said in a sing-song voice. "Do not EVEN tell me what it is. I can't wait to be amaaaazed."

I stopped dead in my tracks. Since when have I ever come out of my closet wearing something that amazed him, or anyone else for that matter? I wear sweat pants every day and I'm pretty sure he was four-years-old before he ever saw me in a dress. I'll never forget his surprise. "Mom, YOU have a princess suit?"

Afraid he was getting his hopes up for something that was not to be, I told him, "It's going to be running pants (I hesitated) and a T-shirt."

"Are you going running?"

"No." (Slightly annoyed)

"Ohhh, all right then. Dad runs in his."

With that twist of the knife I went into my closet, closed the door behind me and mumbled under my breath, "At least I can tie my own shoes."

Then, this morning after hitting snooze on my alarm for the third time I heard his big, flat feet hit the floor as he got out of his bed and headed for my room. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Really, Mom? Free times?" 

He climbed into my bed and we snuggled for a while before having to get him ready for school. Per our usual routine, we argued about the direction he combs his hair and his disdain for blue jeans. Before I knew it he was out the door and headed to school. He will only be there for three hours, but I miss him already. 

What I don't miss, however, is having my outfit critiqued. 

Billie Jean King is a handsome woman, dammit and I'm not one bit ashamed of copying her swagger. 

This brings me back to my conundrum, though. Is it right for me to expect him to strive for perfection at everything he does while I sleep late and, from time to time, sleep in the outfit I'm going to wear the next day? (Shut up. You know its brilliant.)

Yes, of course it is. 

He's five-years-old and therefore still crappy at everything!! That may sound harsh, but before judging me try making a resume for your five-year-old. You can't. It's hysterical. They can't do anything. 

So…

Parental win. End conundrum.

Lori

No comments :

Post a Comment