/**/    <!--Can't find substitution for tag [blog.Loripalooza]-->   

Monday, July 29, 2013

No Place Like Home

I want to give a huge thank you to Tara and Kristen for filling in for me last week and bringing you all lots to laugh at in my absence. 

Vacation actually ended a little earlier than we had planned on when Tuesday night/Wednesday morning we were exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning. It was one of the scariest things I've ever been through. 

Try as I might to resist, my brain can't help but what-if the entire experience. 

What if we hadn't woken up with headaches?

What if I hadn't called 9-1-1 when I did?

What if Emma hadn't been there to take care of Luke while I was in the hospital?

What if I hadn't regained the ability to speak?

What if the after effects never go away?

What if? 

What if? 

What if?

I know how lucky we are to be able to tell this story. Most people who experience carbon monoxide poisoning are not. I'm thankful for that, but at the same time I am frustrated at the after effects. Dizziness, tremors and headaches are unpleasant, but apparently pretty typical in the short term. My difficulty verbalizing will hopefully continue to get better with time. The words are in there. I can see them in my head, but they don't always come out on command.

Lori



10 comments :

  1. WHAT?! OMG that's awful! What happened?! I'm so glad you're OK. p.s. The video isn't working. May just be me, but wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will look at it and take it off, probably. There was golf cart in the garage that was emitting carbon monoxide and our bedroom was just above the garage. There were four of us there at the time. It was really scary. I thought I was having a stroke because I was dizzy with a bad headache and then suddenly unable to speak. That's when we called 9-1-1. We were very lucky.

      Delete
    2. OMG. Was the golf cart plugged in/running? Or was it just sitting there emitting fumes?

      Delete
    3. Ironically enough it was an electric golf cart. Apparently the high levels of CO in the garage were a result of the batteries charging on the golf cart. The charge was attracting the molecules that were coming from somewhere unknown- maybe water heater, maybe the ground...

      Delete
  2. Lori, I am still freaking out about this. So glad you are relatively okay. Promise you'll stay in touch with your doc about your symptoms that aren't going away. PROMISE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise. In fact I saw a doctor on Monday, but I'll probably make another appt for a couple of weeks from now. Yesterday was my clearest day thus far. I wasn't dizzy, nor did I stutter. That was encouraging.

      Delete
  3. Was this when we were galavanting around BlogHer? Holy shit! So glad you are okay. Incredible. Wow. I'm sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the same time. A million times over I've said, "I really wish I went to BlogHer, instead." Thanks, Frugie.

      Delete
  4. This is such important information to get out there, Lori. I'm sooo glad you and your son were okay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. So are we. I'm definitely counting my blessings.

      Delete