/**/    <!--Can't find substitution for tag [blog.Loripalooza]-->   

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Thanks Again, #PBS For Setting Standards Too High

Just when I thought it was safe to let my five-year-old son watch any of the PBS cartoons I was seriously let down. 

Luke came in my bedroom this morning and said, "Hey Mom, I learned a song on Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. It goes like this, 'Grown-ups always come baaaack."

"Luke, look at me. Did Daniel Tiger really say that?"

"Yep, that's what he said." (skips away)

It was before 8AM and thus I hadn't had my morning coffee. This is when I am at my absolute worst- mentally, emotionally, aesthetically

I was furious. As if I don't have enough stress on me as a parent, now I have to worry about that elitist, sumbitchin tiger telling my kid that I'll never forget to pick him up for school. Not today.

"Hey Luke," I called out. 

"Ma'am?"

"Change the TV to Sponge Bob and go turn on Mommy's coffee maker, please."

14 comments :

  1. I'm sorry... your son calls you Ma'am? Now that's setting the standards too high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He only does it when he thinks he's in trouble (aka usually when I'm shouting his name from another room, or when he really wants something). I mean, yes. He says it always.

      Delete
  2. You should only watch Sesame Street. The day they threw mommies across the world a bone and put Ryan Reynolds on, I knew that's all we would be watching...every day, all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally saw this one with Colin, and he sang that ALL day one day. Grown ups always come back. Except when we drop you at Grandparents' house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or your mommy totally forgets to pick you up from chorus until she walks in the house and your daddy says "where's the kid" and you go "oh SHIT!" and race 75 miles thru the neighborhood and totally pretend it was because of traffic that you were late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Elitist sumbitchin tiger"...I think I almost choked when I read this! That's right, the supposedly "kid-friendly" shows are screwing up the parenting curve -- the hell wrong with the world these days???? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't even know how much restraint I used in this post against Daniel Tiger. The first draft was much uglier.

      Delete
  6. I laughed at the first comment. Obviously not made by someone in the South. My kids say "yes ma'am" or "no ma'am" which is totally normal in SC... but usually only used when they are being told to do something! My daughter loves Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, but I've never really watched the episode. I just got such a kick of them reviving the Mr. Roger's Neighborhood concept, I figured it would be cool. But then again, my kids have been dropped off and forgotten a few times, so they probably know better than to listen to what Daniel says! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol. Exactly. It's ok to watch Daniel Tiger, as long as they know it isn't REAL.

    ReplyDelete